God first loved us. He set the sun and moon in the heavens, flung the stars far and wide and created a world just for us. He breathed into us the breath of life. God walked with our fathers of faith and gave the Law and the Prophets as our guide. There is a great measure of love shown in all these.
But still, these are not LOVE:
• Herein is love – He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish. John 3:16
• Herein is love – He gave His life as a ransom. Mark 10:45
• Herein is love – He sent His Son to be a propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10
• Herein is love – He redeemed us with the precious blood of Christ. 1 Peter 1:18
• Herein is love – He died for us. Romans 5:8
God first loved us. That is wonderful news. However, being first loved inescapably places us in a position from which we must react. Will we return that love? The proverbial ball is in our court. How shall you and I respond to His love? I pray we share in the same declaration: “We love Him, because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:19